Modes are a setting that modifies what the QuillBot AI will focus on when you paraphrase something. Each mode has specific things it will focus on doing to your text. There are seven modes total, with three free modes and four premium modes. The free modes are:
- Standard Mode: Standard mode serves as our default mode. This mode balances the changes it makes to your text with keeping the meaning intact and making it sound as natural as possible.
- Fluency Mode: This AI mode focuses on making your text sound as natural and grammatically correct as possible in the English language. This means that it will make the least amount of changes to your text, but will preserve the original meaning well. Note that selecting this mode will also put the Word Flipper onto the lowest possible setting.
- Creative Mode: The Creative mode AI focuses on changing as much as possible in your input text. However, this can result in the meaning or overall coherency of the results being altered. This mode can be useful if you want to see something very different from your original text.
The premium-only modes are:
- Creative+ Mode: Creative+ is an updated form of Creative that uses a new model. This model will make higher quality semantic changes and will try and reinterpret what you say more actively.
- Formal Mode: Formal mode seeks to make your text sound more professional and appropriate for academic or business audiences.
- Shorten Mode: This mode tries to shorten your text as much as possible while retaining the meaning in it. Concision mode is very useful if you are seeking to lower the word count or overall size of your text.
- Expand Mode: In this mode, the AI will try and add words to your input text in order to make it longer.
Free users can access Standard, Fluency, and Creative mode. Suggestive and Concision are only available with a premium subscription.
How do I change the mode?
You can change a mode by clicking on the name of the mode you want to select. The modes' location is circled in red in this image:
The mode you have selected will be colored orange, as well as underlined with an orange line.
Reparaphrasing by changing a mode
If you have a sentence selected, you can reparaphrase that sentence in a new mode simply by selecting a different mode. However, if you want to paraphrase all of your original text, you will have to select a new mode and then click the green "Paraphrase" button.