Typically, you’ll be finding your own sources for Reading Notebook entries, but for this first one, we’ll all be looking at the same source.
- Please review the article for this exercise.
In this article, you learned several tools to get more out of your reading activities for schoolwork. We’ll amend the first bullet point’s advice slightly to “read with a computer keyboard in hand” for our purposes.
While reading the “How to Read Like a Writer” source, put this first strategy of “reading with a keyboard in hand” to work. Create a document that includes any or all of the following:
- questions you had while reading
- emotional reactions to the text
- key terms that seem important to you
- what you think the thesis or main idea of this source is
- what you think the intended audience for this source is
- how effective you think this source is
- anything else that comes to mind
This is an informal assignment. Your writing can be in complete sentences, or bullet points or fragments, as you see appropriate. Editing isn’t vital for this work, though it should be proofread to the point that obvious typos or misspellings are addressed and corrected. Target word count is 150-300 words for this entry.