Try It: Supporting Claims
- Locate all of the supporting claims used in your selected text.
- Identify what kind of supporting claim each is. As a reminder, the categories defined earlier in this section include
- exhibits (or primary sources)
- expert testimony
- interviews and surveys
- Identify the kind of appeal each supporting claim is meant to address. As a reminder, the categories of appeals defined earlier in this section include
- logical appeals
- authoritative appeals
- emotional appeals
- Note how effective you think each type of support used is, relating back to the source’s thesis. Which do you find most convincing? Why? Which do you find least convincing? Why?